Monday 18 October 2010

1.6.5... post armageddon thoughts

Loads of comments about 1.6.5..... my early thoughts....

TV's & Wages- A- Huge positive change

For those that didn't realise what was coming with wages, TV's etc... you have missed the ingame mails from SI and been caught out by ignoring them.

- TV's are now based more on 'the going rate' and will more likely annoy the Wheeler Dealers... hurrahh. Possibly less Football Trader Live.

- Wages are now also based on the going rate. This has been long advertised and available to read up on.... this may catch those out that have already paid 'silly' (imo) wages. Hurrahhh.... finally people are going to pay the going rate rather than get kids through on the cheap- perhaps proper aged teams might be the way forward now?

New Match Engine- Too early to tell.

For those that hate the ME... hmmm... well, I'm not sure if they have a point yet. I have been massively affected in losing most of my FA games, but have seen some elements that I like a lot.

Some people, however, were saying the ME was broken 1 hour after they first logged in. The mind boggles at the lack of mental power! It may have issues- all the ME changes before have had a bedding in time- but to judge it so early is a tad unfair.... though I will admit to jibbering a bit about my defenders losing the ability to defend....

What I do find amusing is those managers that,  like sheep, had been using the 4-3-3 religiously found the 'exploit' didn't work anymore.... oh dear, they may actually need to find their own formation...  No sympathy. Baaaa!!

Lots of tweeking needed from me to make my 4-4-2 work, but I am hoping to get something right in time to just avoid registration.

I've never really analysed the ME too much in the past but will watch more on this one... and am now trying to be positive in the interim....

Team Talks- D+

No point my defending this. I never liked them in FM2009, and don't like them any more now. I'm not sure they offer enough control over player moral (end of match option might help, and in between game abilities too). I actually started just ignoring them for the last few games I played and started to actually play a bit better. At least in FMxxxx you get feedback as to what the players thought on the team talk. For me, it doesn't work yet and will become pretty unused I suspect.

Regardless, moral does appear to have taken a large hit and I want to spend more time trying to understand it before I decide it is as huge an issue as others have vocalised. What I do know is that my players are all on Suicide watch at the moment.... so all sharp objects have been hidden and a win or 2 needs to be achieved.

Cash for Ranking points - B

'Reduced commercial and stadium income by 10%, and introduced a daily income boost of up to 10% which depends on your placing within your ranking band at the end of the day (top = 10%, bottom = 0%). '

I think its a sop for the managers (like me, incidently) that want non-Rep'ed games to have more of an incentive. It won't really affect my feelings on the non-rep games but I like the fact the concern has been taken on board. Regardless, it is such a small amount that those that don't like it are barely affected & those that do like it have an additional incentive.

Lag- F

Still abysmal and still makes the game intolerable at times. Last night was possibly the worst I have known it, so I guess it's still raw, but I hate it so much and, if anything was to make me consider stopping playing, this would more likely be it. Not even close that point yet, though. Just pretty disappointed that we were told that 1.6.5 would go some way to removing some lag, and has so far failed completely.

Overall- B (if lag was fixed I would say A+ regardless!)


So, for a mid-upgrade, I think it was so far generally positive. There are elements which are annoying- the downloading time for many was, as ever, laughable- not sure about those that moaned about the late notice of the download. Agreed, it was a strange one, but not sure that it made much difference over previous ones with a weeks notice.

My only cautionary note would be the lack of clarity on how TV's are calculated and the carnage that may occur with signing on fee's come the wage auctions.... more on that if it arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment